The Designer’s Barn was the residence of architectural, environmental and industrial designer Robert L. Hunker (1927-2009), founder of the Peninsula Valley Historic and Education Foundation.
The barn was built in the 1860s. It was converted in 1962 by Robert L. Hunker into a design studio and workroom for Hunker Associates, Inc. In 1969, the barn was again modified to add an apartment living complex for Mr. Hunker on the top floor.
Although the original structure of the barn and some of the siding remains, Robert L. Hunker transformed the interior into an eclectic mix of antiques and modern conveniences that was ahead of its time in form and function. He wished to turn it into a house museum to display his knowledge and passion of interior design for all to see.