The Peninsula Foundation supports the Arts Community by presenting Voices in the Valley, a showcase of traditional roots music. So kick back, relax and join us for a night of music in the Historic G.A.R. Hall. Beer and Wine available
Mark your Calendars for these upcoming shows!
- 8/29: G.S. Harper with opening guest Kate Kooser
Someone told me I needed to book G.S. Harper, they said…”You will love him” I’m not the only one. ”His music makes you feel you are sitting on a porch on a rural state route in a beat up old rocking chair, sun setting somewhere in the distance, sipping a glass of small batch bourbon backed up with an ice cold lemonade, the sweat on your brow matching that of the condensation on the mason jar you’re sipping from after a long day working the land. He’s the real deal alright.” – Jason Burchaski, Cleveland52.com. Seems to sum up the feel of his work. Kate Kooser will be the special guest of the evening. Kate first played the G.A.R. Hall at one of our open mics. She has made a few guest spots and every time she nearly steals the show. Great young songwriter who can deliver a song. Sure to be a great night of music.
Show starts at 7pm. doors open at 6:30. Patio opens for dinner from SOWfoods at 6pm. $5 donation requested at the door.
click here to find out more about G.S. Harper
click here to find out more about Kate Kooser
- 8/30: Blue Ribbon Bluegrass Band with supporting act Rebekah Jean We are throwing a party with the Blue Ribbon Bluegrass Band as they celebrate the release of their CD! If you like high energy bluegrass, these are the boys you want to come hang out with. There new cd is ready to go and they are ready to share it with you! So come prepared to party, it is always a good time when these guys are in the House. Rebekah Jean, the little girl with the big, big voice. Catch her as she starts the night at the Hall. Music starts at 8pm, doors open at 7:30. $7 cover
- 9/5: Demos Papadimas- Recently hailed by Cleveland’s Scene Magazine as #2 on their “13 Bands to Watch in 2013,” singer-songwriter Demos Papadimas (resonator guitar/vocals/harmonica/bouzouki) skillfully intertwines American roots music with Mediterranean inﬂuences. With his three-piece band consisting of Andre Ptichkin (upright bass), Sandi Quotson (violin), and Ralph Rich (drums), Papadimas creates a distinct musical synthesis.
Discussing his latest album Wanderin’ Through the Wilderness, Papadimas states that “[a]lthough the album explores varied musical territory, including back porch Americana, Bob Dylan-esque ballads, Gypsy Tango, and Greek Rembetiko, it is still very much a songwriter’s album. The lyrics certainly take the spotlight, even though there are rich musical arrangements and diverse stylistic twists from track to track. This description best summarizes my style and approach to music.”
to find out more about Demos click here
- 9/12: John, Jack & Jennifer- more information coming soon!
- 9/19: No Voices this week due to a private event
- 9/26: Stumpy Basin Volunteers- what better way to kick off Peninsula’s Music on the Porches event than with Peninsula’s hometown Bluegrass Band, The Stumpy Basin Volunteers. Fiddles, guitars, and banjos, everything you need for a good time! These boys play classic, foot stompin’, good time Bluegrass. A great way to start a weekend of music in the Valley!
Music starts at 7pm. doors open at 6:30. $5 donation requested at the door
- 9/27: Voices in the Valley welcomes Dom Flemons for Music on the Porches Headliner.
Dom Flemons is the ”American Songster,” pulling from traditions of old-time folk music to create new sounds. Having performed music professionally since 2005, he has played live for over one million people just within the past three years. As part of the Carolina Chocolate Drops, which he co-founded with Rhiannon Giddens and Justin Robinson, he has played at a variety of festivals spanning from the Newport Folk Festival to Bonnaroo, in addition to renowned venues such as the Grand Ole Opry.A multi-instrumentalist, Dom plays banjo, guitar, harmonica, fife, bones, bass drum, snare drum and quills, in addition to singing. He says that he incorporates his background in percussion to his banjo playing. Dom’s banjo repertoire includes not only clawhammer but also tenor and three-finger styles of playing.Catch Dom with opening act Grace & Tony on September 27th as the headliner act for the Music on the Porches celebration. A village wide event, brought to you in cooperation with the Peninsula Area Chamber of Commerce with help from the Ohio Arts Council, to celebrate music, art and culture in the Valley.For this show there will be a limited number of seats with tables. Tables will be sold as a group of 4. All other seats will be auditorium seating.
Doors open at 7:30. Music starts at 8pm. All seats are general admission other than the preferred table seating.
- Preferred table seating – 4 tickets for $100.00
Pre-sale auditorium seating – $20.00 per ticket
Day of the show auditorium seating – $27.00 per ticket
click here to purchase tickets
click here to visit Dom’s website
click here for a Dom Flemons video
click here for a Grace & Tony Video
- 9/28: Voices in the Valley welcomes Shivering Timbers for a Small Hall Concert- Shivering Timbers is Sarah Benn, Jayson Benn, joined by Daniel Kshywonis, musicians who call Akron, Ohio home. Their story developed when Sarah and Jayson Benn started singing and crafting songs for our then-infant daughter. As she grew the music began to take shape, and a band was born. In the years which followed, Shivering Timbers has taken their music on the road, sharing their unique sound with audiences all around the country. Sarah’s haunting vocals and Jason’s blistering guitar, a great combination, a great band. Supporting act for the evening is Warren Byron! Warren joins us from Lexington Kentucky, and will be a great start to the evening.
Music starts at 7pm, doors open at 6:30, general admission
find out more about Shivering Timbers at:
Shivering Timbers video
Shivering Timbers video 2
purchase tickets here
Enter the G.A.R. Hall through the side door by the patio. Parking for the G.A.R. Hall is on the southwest corner of Riverview Road and Main Street (Route 303).
If you would like to sponsor a night of music at Voices in the Valley, please visit our support page or contact 330-657-2528 or 330-760-0403 for more details. Thank you in advance for your consideration.
Please send all booking inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org
Words are not enough for all the gratitude we have for the countless people who have given to this program. You know who you are and Thank YOU so much!
Jay Minkin for all his great press and support. Check out his blog at minkinsmusic.wordpress.com